Name That Bug!
• I am a virus and not affected by treatment with antibiotics
• I am very contagious
• I am easily transmitted from person to person through the fecal-oral route due to infected food handlers who either do not wash their hands or wash their hands improperly after using the bathroom
• I am found in some municipal water supplies, recreational lakes, swimming pools, wells, or even water stored on cruise ships
• I am found in raw (or improperly steamed) shellfish, especially clams and oysters
• You can pick me up off of surfaces (touching an infected doorknob and then placing hands in mouth)
• Both stool and vomit are very infectious
• I attack quickly and people feel suddenly very sick
• My symptoms usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and cramping and last 24 – 60 hours • I have the ability to create large outbreaks
• A little bit of me goes a long way Who am I?
Photo courtesy of NC University - Virology Department
Yep! Norovirus. The number one outbreak in the United States. And what is the best defense? Proper handwashing!