Q & A - Herb Infused Oils - Shelf Stable or TCS food?
Updated: May 31, 2020
Q: I was wondering in it's OK to leave house-made herb oils out or do they need to be refrigerated. We are making infused oils with fresh rosemary.
A : Here’s the rundown in regard to seasoned/infused oils:
* Raw, roasted, dehydrated or powdered garlic remaining in oil - Temperature controlled for safety (TCS). Hold at 41F or less with a 7-day shelf life.
* Garlic oil - If garlic removed/strained out, oil clear, no particles, no longer a TCS food. OK to hold at room temperature, no defined shelf life for food safety.
* Fresh herbs/vegetable stored in oil - TCS
* Fresh herbs removed/strained from oil - Non-TCS
* Dried/powdered herbs (except garlic) in oil - Non-TCS